Pets are part of the family and many people believe that their pets should be able to travel with them wherever they go. Granted, even our pets enjoy riding in our cars so we don’t leave them behind. But the downside is that pets need a lot of travel essentials. Even a short drive can make a mess in your vehicle. Unless you have a few car accessories that animal lovers should never be without.
We’ve compiled a list of six handy products to make traveling with your pets easier for you, her and your vehicle.
1. Pet Safe Car Seat Covers
Dirty paws, shedding of fur and even accidents are no problem with a pet car seat cover. Made of durable water-resistant material, they can form a hammock for pets to rest. Some of these seat covers even have storage compartments for storing other pet care essentials.
Another option for keeping pet hair and fur off your upholstery is a pet car seat.
2. Travel bags for your pet
When traveling with your pet in the car to visit friends or family over long distances, boredom can be a problem. With a holdall for them, you can reduce risk by packing their favorite toys, leash, favorite foods, snacks and anything else they need. As a bonus, some even come with collapsible water and food bowls, reports HGTV.
3. Portable foldable dog ramps for cars, trucks and SUVs
Getting in and out of cars can be difficult for some dogs, especially small ones. It can also be difficult for you if the dog is a larger breed. Pet ramps make it easier for everyone. From older dogs who may have trouble jumping to puppies who can’t jump high enough to get in, everyone can use pet ramps.
4. Portable dog water bottles with pet waste bag holders
Just as you enjoy having a drink in a hot car, so will your pet. PET water bottles make it easier. The water bottle is dispensed into a bowl to allow them to fill up. You can safely use these products in the car or when taking a break.
And of course, drinking means that nature can call during your journey. Therefore, carrying a pet waste bag holder in the car is a must.
5. Car air fresheners or purifying airbags
On long trips with pets, your car can start to smell like them even if your beloved pet is clean. To help, air purification bags can absorb foul odors. Many of the ones approved for pet use are filled with non-toxic, natural deodorants like bamboo, so you don’t have to worry.
6. Collapsible travel water cups for pets
If you’re short on space for pet care products in your car, consider small collapsible travel water cups. You can use them anywhere and even store them in small vehicles.
8 tips for safe driving with pets
Traveling safely with a pet can be a challenge. It’s important to take care of your pet and consider their needs when traveling, especially on longer trips. Some advice to make driving easier:
- Take smaller trips to prepare for a longer one
- Plan a route with pet-friendly stops
- Find pet-friendly accommodation before you head out
- Pack essentials for your pet (toys, food, water, snacks, cleaning wipes, trash bags, etc.)
- Exercise your pet before the trip (a tired pet will rest during the trip)
- Leash your pet inside your car before you stop for gas or in areas where they cannot safely exit the car
- Don’t leave your pet in a parked car for long periods of time
- Stop often in safe areas for your pet to explore
Just as you and your human children have needs on a long car ride, pets have needs too. To ensure a happy and safe ride with Fluffy, you must consider her needs.
RELATED: 5 reasons why you should get your car tinted